Modern language Association
MLA is an abbreviation of Modern language association. These are guidelines for academic writing and it helps to format the paper and cite the sources in a standardized manner.
MLA style provides the writers with a system with which they can reference there sources through explanatory citation in their essays. If you are planning to write your essay in MLA format then you are establishing a credible impression of your material. This format keeps the writers from the accusation of using plagiarized material.
Keep the following steps and guidelines in your mind when you are writing in MLA style
Formatting your Essay
- If a title page is not requested for, then there is no need for you to add it. so don’t make a title page
- Write your name, instructor’s name, the course, and date on the upper left side corner of the page. Use double spaced text.
- Again use double space and then add the title. Write the title in the standard capitalization or in the title case. Do not put the title in quotation marks, underline, or italicize it.
- Just use the option of quotations or italics when you have to refer to other Scholar’s work in your title
- In between the first line of your text and your title have a double space.
- Make a header on the upper right-hand corner. This would include your name, then space and later would have the page number.
- All the pages should be numbered, one-half inch from the top and include it in the right margin.
- Your font size should be 12, so that it can be clear.
- Every time you take information from a source, make sure that the sentence ends with a parenthetical citation. The parenthetical information should provide with the last name of the source‘s author and the page number from where you took the information.
- The bibliography should be titles as “Work Cited” not references, sources or bibliography.
- Each entry in the Work cited should be listed on the left side and any continuation of lines should be on half an inch from the left margin
- If you are, citing authors then only write the first names of all the authors in each entry.
- In case if you have any endnotes, then include them on a separate page before the Work Cited page. That portion of the essay would be known as Notes
What we help with
The academic writing guides you can find on this website are created to assist high school and college students write better:
- High school essays
- Research papers
- Capstone projects
- Term papers
- PowerPoint presentations
- Article critiques
What our readers think
- Josh (TX): I have been looking for a resource to help me write my essay and I found it!
- Maria (Sweden): I was totally stuck with my research project till I bumped into this blog. Thank you!
- Alex (DC): You guys have saved my literature term paper. You rock!
- Jessica (NJ): Thank you for giving me free thesis statement topic ideas. I was about to fail my paper.